Modern/Vintage...

The dichotomy of modern/vintage is me to a tee. I yearn for modern but I am steeped in a constant retrospective. I look back and smile. I like minimal, yet things bring me pleasure. You know that bit in 'Out of Africa' where Meryl Streep simply must have her Limoge? She must be surrounded by her 'things' before she functions in her new environment. Incidentally - her Danish accent in that film is spot on. It makes me miss my Mum even if she is sitting right there next to me, watching the film!

...beautiful meryl streep...
We are working on a design for the L'Apothecary brand and I find myself trying to describe the relationship between modern and vintage, as it appears in my mind's eye. Not an easy feat! My house is the same; I would love to have white, simple, clean lines. Yet, we live in a 17th century cottage where not one wall in the entire place is straight and where the ceiling is not much higher than my head. It cries out for old. Modern would be incongruous here.

via skona hem
Ditto my own style; I try to find the balance between 'enough' and 'too much' when I am getting dressed. Hate to be dowdy, love to be just right. I get delicious guilt sweats when I buy new, but also love digging out an old favourite. Having (and wearing) clothes for a long time proves their worth, surely. Ultimately the thing I love the most when I see it is simplicity. Whether old or new, it's that eye for detail; the perfectly simple and beautiful that I am drawn to. Oh so elusive!


Modern/Vintage... Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Unknown